To use Jobs to be Done for market segmentation, follow these six steps:
1. Establish what you will use the segmentation for
2. Define your independent and dependent variables (i.e., the causation that you’re seeking to understand)
3. Undertake a jobs-based analysis to determine functional and emotional jobs, as well as the attitudinal and contextual drivers that lead people to prioritize different jobs or distinct occasions
4. Sort out which variables are useful, due to having data sufficiently available, having a straightforward relationship to your chain of causation, and having as little overlap as possible with other variables being used
5. Create a way to frame the market in a clear fashion
6. Determine so-what implications
Read the rest of Stephen Wunker's article--including a detailed example that illustrates these six steps--on his Forbes blog.